Track rules the field against the Bulldogs and Griffins

Freshman Xin Meng sprints the final leg of the frosh-soph girls 4x100m relay against a Lincoln runner at a home meet on April 18. Photo by Esther Posillico

The Lowell Cardinals track and field team geared up for their fourth league meet on April 18 at home against the Wallenberg Bulldogs and the Leadership Griffins. The Balboa Buccaneers, the ICA Spartans, and the Lincoln Mustangs also participated at the meet. As students gathered on the field and on the bleachers, the pistol sounded and the first leg of relay runners took off across the track.

This was the team’s second home meet of the season. For many participating runners, the comfort of Lowell’s field brings reassurance. “I’m definitely more familiar with this area so there’s a lot less pressure,” said freshman Xin Meng.

The pressure was still on for most runners, but the team pushed through their nerves and put forth their strongest efforts. “I was nervous, but I was confident in my team that we would do well,” said freshman Dakota O’Brien.

Junior Grace Wen clears the pull vault bar. Photo by Esther Posillico

The frosh-soph girls division was decorated with multiple wins. In the 1600m run, sophomore Michelle Wong and freshman Sophia Shen achieved first and second place with times of 5:54.6 and 6:19.9, respectively.

“In the 400m it’s pretty much all mental because towards the end you feel like you’re dying but you have to keep going.”

In the 400m dash, freshman Sophia Ladyzhensky took first place with a time of 1:06.5. The sprint wasn’t easy for Ladyzhensky, but she met her time goal and was satisfied. “In the 400m it’s pretty much all mental because towards the end you feel like you’re dying but you have to keep going,” she said.

In the 100m hurdles, sophomores Annie Huo and Ashlynn Liu placed first and second with times of 20.0 and 21.0, respectively. Ashlynn Liu was pleased with her time. “Just to cross the finish line, that was my goal,” she said.

Freshman Sophia Ladyzhensky sprints toward the finish line. Photo by Esther Posillico

Varsity girls also won several events. In the 4x100m relay, they finished in first place with a time of 53.1.

In the 100m hurdles, junior Zinnia Finn took first with a time of 17.5

In the 100m dash, junior Emily Liu placed first with a time of 13.0.

In the 300m hurdles, Finn tied with a Lincoln runner for first with a time of 51.7.

In the 200m dash, Emily Liu took first with a time of 27.9.

“I think we could’ve done better but I’m happy with our result.”

Frosh-soph boys also led the pack in multiple events. In the 4x100m relay, they came in second place with a time of 48.0. “I think we could’ve done better but I’m happy with our result,” said freshman Dakota O’Brien.

The varsity boys division also dominated the field. In the 4x100m relay, they achieved a time of 45.7 and came in first place.

In the 1600m run, junior Donald Chung took first with a time of 5:05.

In the 110m hurdles, senior Joe Huang flew by his competition with a time of 15.7, placing first.

In the 400m dash, senior Emil Rodriguez charged into first place with a time of 53.0.

In the 100m dash, sophomore Jason Tsui sprinted into first place with a time of 11.6.

In the 800m run, junior Ryan Lee placed first with a time of 2:19.8.

In the 300m hurdles, senior Tyler Chia took first place, clocking in at 45.6.

In the 4x400m relay, varsity boys took first place with a time of 3:45.6.

Freshman Connor Chia jumps over a hurdle in the 100m event. Photo by Esther Posillico

As for the rest of the season, the team is set on winning the AAA championship at All City in May. “We’re just going to continue to improve, continue to get better, continue to get stronger and faster,” said coach Eddy Chou.

The Lowell track and field team will run their next meet at 3:30 p.m. on April 26 at Washington against the Mission Bears and the Academy Wolves. The Washington Eagles, Balboa Buccaneers and ICA Spartans were also at the meet.