Boys’ lacrosse to become an official CIF sport

Photo Courtesy of Nate Phuong

In the next academic year, Lowell boys’ lacrosse will become an official team under the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). This will be the first time Lacrosse is recognized as a sport among any public school in San Francisco, allowing the team to play against other private schools in the Bay Area league. Boys’ lacrosse began as a club, founded by junior Cole Bryant earlier this year. Bryant quickly recruited fellow aspiring lacrosse players to advocate and fundraise for the growing team. Although joining the CIF is often a strenuous process spanning up to five years, the team of athletes managed to achieve it in just two years.  The group found great success in acquiring grants and donated equipment, according to Bryant. “We are on the come-up,” he said. 

Currently, boys’ lacrosse can only play against a limited number of teams. According to Bryant, the season started off rocky, with many new recruits still learning to play. Most recently, on Wednesday, April 24, the team beat Archie Williams High School with a score of 13-3.

Bryant believes that having a boys’ lacrosse team within the San Francisco Unified School District is exciting for the sport’s future. Historically, lacrosse has had a predominantly wealthy and white makeup, limiting its accessibility and the number of people able to play. “Lowell recognizing [lacrosse] as a sport is the first step in other teams starting up,” Bryant said. “We have a bright future ahead of us for Lowell lacrosse.”