Letter from the editors

Dear readers of The Lowell

In this issue’s news feature, “How the Israel-Hamas war is affecting Lowellites,” we acknowledge the responsibility that comes with the platform we have. This year, we faced a delicate situation when covering news related to the conflict in Gaza. We understand that these topics can be sensitive, and our intention is never to cause harm. We are committed to presenting news with empathy and nuance, recognizing the diverse perspectives within our community. Many among the Lowell community have friends and family affected by the realities of war, and their stories deserve to be told.

From right to left: Tess Wissotzky, Helena-Renee Awwad, and Amaya Tawasha Diwan. (Alex Mangot)

While capturing images of the featured student sources, three of them, Tess Wissotzky, Helena-Renee Awwad, and Amaya Tawasha Diwan, initially gathered for a photo shoot, but ended up engaging in a meaningful conversation marked by mutual understanding. Amidst nods and attentive listening, we observed students of Arab and Israeli descent coming together in a display of unity — a sight often excluded in oversaturated news coverage nowadays. 

As we move into 2024, we aspire to continue opening new discussions that unite rather than divide. Your feedback and engagement are invaluable to us, and we encourage you to share your perspectives as we navigate the complex terrain of news and storytelling.

Editors-in-Chief,

Kylie Chau, Roman Fong, and Sierra Sun