Letter from the editors

Dear readers of The Lowell

Hello and welcome back! The beginning of the year always comes with changes and challenges, but we are excited to share the first magazine of the school year with you. 

In our original editorial, we argued in support of the United Educators of San Francisco union (UESF) as they sought to provide teachers and paraprofessionals with fair wages while retaining AP funding. On the morning of submitting this edition of The Lowell to our printer, UESF and the district came to a tentative agreement that satisfied both of UESF’s demands. While we had to scrap and start a new editorial with five hours left on the clock, we are pleased that teachers are getting the pay raises they deserve. In our new editorial, we argue for the expansion of Physical Education (PE) Independent Study, which allows students outside of the JROTC program to fulfill their PE requirements without taking Fit for Life.

As newly elected editors-in-chief, the pressure to fill the shoes of our graduated editors was high. Despite this, we’re extremely proud of our staff, many of which are entering their first semester on the publication.

We hope you enjoy the first magazine of the year!

Editors-in-Chief,

Kylie Chau, Roman Fong, and Sierra Sun