Media Review: Happy Together

South China Morning Post

Wong Kar-wai’s Happy Together, nominated for the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, tells the story of the tumultuous relationship between two gay lovers who leave their homeland of Hong Kong in search of a more fulfilling life. After moving to Buenos Aires, Argentina, stress stemming from emotional, cultural, and financial isolation causes tensions to build, leading to a ruthless cycle of breaking up and getting back together. Neither individual wants to let the other go, and both are too caught up in their issues to learn how to resolve their differences. Through the film’s contrasting characters and colors, Wong develops a unique depiction of longing.
The two leads couldn’t be more different. Ho Po-Wing (Leslie Cheung) is impulsive and charismatic, and is the turbulent side of their relationship. Lai Yiu-Fai (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai) is more secure and introspective, representing the stable side. As a result, their relationship is angry and ugly, with scenes of shouting and showing up at each others’ doorstep battered and inebriated. Conversely, there are moments of desire, where they hold each other in silence when together and cry when they are apart. Although they want each other, Ho and Lai know they are no good for each other.

The film’s combination of heartfelt dialogue and emotional cinematography speaks to the idea of the endless yearning for something we can’t have.

Wong’s use of contrasting colors enhances this portrait of longing. He and Christopher Doyle, the movie’s cinematographer, showcase this in their filming. The first act is in black and white, accentuating the loss of connection between the two after their first on-screen breakup. Then, during a moment of reconciliation, Ho suggests to Lai, “Let’s start over,” and brilliant colors are introduced. This manipulation of color allows the audience members to better understand the characters’ emotions without only depending on dialogue.
Happy Together is a painfully raw depiction of yearning that feels realistic to the shifting dynamics of love. The chemistry between the lead actors is immense, with years of pain, tenderness, and conflict conveyed in a single glance. The film’s combination of heartfelt dialogue and emotional cinematography speaks to the idea of the endless yearning for something we can’t have.