Students embark on a “Voyage to the stars” senior boat

Garvin Kwong

On Saturday, Nov. 4, Lowell’s Senior Boat (SBOAT) Committee held its annual evening event for senior students to dress up and dance on a moving ferry. Adorned with starry string lights and glow-in-the-dark accessories, the boat accommodated approximately 340 student attendees. The committee advised students to dress up in costume to match the SBOAT theme, “Voyage to the Stars.”

According to senior Nicolas Somma-Tang, the SBOAT Committee President, the student-led committee spent many hours organizing the event. Somma-Tang describes the theme as extensively planned, with the neon, “out of this world” dance floor meant to contrast the more elegant upper floors. In addition, the committee wanted to make SBOAT accessible to students by setting ticket prices at $55, a reduction from previous years. “We put a lot of effort and a lot of thought into this, like simply deciding what kind of decorations would fit the boat the most,” Somma-Tang said. “So it’s exciting to see the seniors enjoy their night.” 

“…I think the most [exciting thing] for me is going to be making these memories with my friends… it’s just one of those experiences that I don’t want to [forget].”

— Nayak

Before the event, some students such as senior Noah Nayak expressed frustration with the ticket-purchasing process. According to Somma-Tang, ticket sales were originally limited to 13 per lunch block to equitably provide tickets across the span of two weeks. As a result, Nayak was frustrated with the lengthy distribution process that compelled him to wait in line until he was late to his Block 4 class. “It was crazy, I was there for a good hour and a half,” Nayak said. 

Garvin Kwong

Despite the controversial ticket sales, students like senior Leo Needleman were enthusiastic about the dance. “I freaking love being on a boat,” said Needleman. “SBC, if you want money, make every dance [like] Senior Boat and I will keep buying.” Nayak also expressed excitement, especially towards the event’s costumed dress code. “We don’t really get to dress up like that very often,” said Nayak. “But really, I think the most [exciting thing] for me is going to be making these memories with my friends… it’s just one of those experiences that I don’t want to [forget].”