Girls’ tennis season going strong: Smashes Bulldogs 6–1

Junior Madeline Aubry smashes the ball against the Wallenberg Bulldogs on Sept. 27. Photo by Christina Johnson

A s last season’s All-City team champions, the girls’ tennis team continued their winning streak, defeating the Wallenberg Bulldogs 6–1 on Sept. 27.

The Cardinals swept the floor against the Bulldogs in both singles and doubles matches. In the singles division, juniors Julianna Eng and Dephny Duan won 6–1, 6–0, and 6–3, 6–1, respectively. Sophomore Emily Chen continued the team’s momentum 6–4, 10–7. Despite junior Madeline Aubry’s strong efforts on the court, she fell short 4–6, 7–10.

Junior Dephny Duan returns the ball. Photo by Christina Johnson

In the doubles division, senior Ashley Chin and freshman Kaitlin Canotal, along with freshmen Kiara Chan and Christine Shen emerged victorious 6–2, 6–1, and 6–2, 6–3, respectively. Keeping the team’s winning streak, freshman Kim Wu and sophomore Anna Kaplan won 6–0, 6–1.

The team worked on split steps and positioning during practices, resulting in the significant game-point differences.

Players also used their previous losses in matches as a way to improve. Eng had lost her previous match due to her weakness in approach shots. She utilized this match to improve. Her opponent consistently made short ball shots.

The Cardinals won 6–1 against the Lincoln Mustangs on Oct. 2 at Lincoln. The Cardinals will go against the Galileo Lions on Oct. 4 at 3:30 p.m. at Lowell.