Track meet vs. Bucs and Eagles

On April 17, Lowell hosted a track meet against the Balboa Buccaneers and the Washington Eagles.

The frosh/soph girls did very well at this meet, placing either first or second in almost every event. In the 100m dash, sophomore Brianna Grissom impressively took first place with a time of 13.11. Next, in the 200m dash, Grissom took first again with a time of 26.44. In the 400m dash, sophomore Sophia Ladyzhensky got second place with a time of 1:06.13. “The competition is good,” she said. Ladyzhensky hopes to run a new personal record during the rest of her season. Yen placed fifth in this event with a time of 1:11.78. “Even though I placed last, I was just thinking about my time,” she said. Yen also hopes to improve her overall times throughout the season.

There was a large turnout of frosh/soph boys at this meet, creating the need for multiple heats for most of their events. In both the first and second heats of the 100m dash, Lowell placed fifth: freshman Hayden Kwok with a time of 12.93 and sophomore Owen Park with a time of 12.97.

Xaria Lubensky
Freshman Andy Truong jumps over the bar in the high jump.

The 200m dash was very popular among the frosh/soph boys this meet, with a total of four heats. In the first heat, sophomore Miguel Santos got second place in his heat with a time of 24.71. In the second heat, sophomore Caden Ng placed third with a time of 26.00. Freshman Ryan Lieu got second place in the third heat with a time of 26.75. In the fourth heat, freshman Edmond Lau ran the 200m in 27.7 and placed sixth.

The 800m run was a great event for the Cardinals, freshman Sam Lawrence came in first with a time of 2:13:03 and sophomore Weijing Li was right behind him in second place with a time of 2:13:33.

After that, freshman Ben Lester placed first in the 1600m with a time of 4:53:15. Freshman Oliver Witt was right behind him in second place with a time of 4:53:42.

Finally, Lowell came just behind Washington in the 4x100m relay, missing the mark by .02. Lowell came in second place with a time of 48.98 compared to Wash’s 48.96. In the first heat of the 110H, sophomore Miguel Santos got first, with a time of 17.02. In the second heat, Chris Bautista placed first with a time of 17.4.

The 100m dash was very close. Senior Emily Liu came in first with a time of 13.09, and junior Allison Jou came in third with 13.95, making a difference of less than 0.9 of a second. In the 200m dash, Liu was in the lead for Lowell again, running it in 27.27, good for second place. Liu is very close to her goal of being under 13 seconds.

Xaria Lubensky
Senior Jocelyn Tran in the second and last lap of the 800m run, in which she came in second place.

Senior Jocelyn Tran got second place in the girls’ 800m with a time of 3:13.83.

After that, in the 4x100m relay, Lowell lost to Washington, placing second with a time of 54.53 as compared to Washington’s time of 52.0. Liu ran the second leg of this event and believes they could have done better had they been given more time to practice as a team. “Our team was sort of made on the spot so we weren’t ready. Our results were because of that,” she said, “I guess we were so focused on working on things like technique and endurance, we just forgot about individual specific races.”

In the varsity girls’ last event, senior Esther Chung placed first in the 110m hurdles with a time of 19:91. However, she was the only runner in this race, as no other schools had athletes in this event.

Christina Kan
Junior Godfrey Obiero placed third with a time of 24.58 in his heat of the 200m dash.

There weren’t many events for the varsity boys at this meet. In the 100m dash, junior Luke Woodhouse came in fourth place with a time of 12.39. Senior David Dang crossed the finish line right behind Woodhouse, placing fifth with a time of 12.64. In the first heat of the 200m dash, junior Godfrey Obiero placed third with 24.58. In the second heat, junior Alex Ngo also came in third, but with a time of 26.18. In the 400m dash, Obiero got first place with a time of 54.46. Just six seconds later, senior Francis Lu ran into fifth place with a time of 1:02:41. Next, Junior Ronald Pollick placed second with a time of 2:24:81 in the 800m run. Lowell won first place in the 4x100m relay against both Balboa and Washington, with a time of 46.35.

Lowell’s last meet before All-City was held at home on May 2 against the Burton Pumas, the Marshall Phoenixes, the Galileo Lions, the Academy Wolves, the Balboa Buccaneers and the San Francisco International Huskies.