Boys’ volleyball smashes the Wolves 3–0 in battle of the net

Freshman+setter+Bryant+Zhu+%28right%29+sets+the+ball+for+senior+captain+middle+hitter+Alan+Duong+%28left%29+against+the+Wolves+on+April+26.++

Christina Johnson

Freshman setter Bryant Zhu (right) sets the ball for senior captain middle hitter Alan Duong (left) against the Wolves on April 26.

The boys’ volleyball team took over the Academy Wolves, beating them 3–0 on April 26. The Cardinals began with a bang, overwhelmingly winning the first set 25–8. They continued their momentum and won the second set 25–17. They maintained their winning streak and won the third set 25–12.

Junior outside hitter Benjamin Zee smacks the ball over the net. Photo by Christina Johnson

The team swapped their positions to present themselves with a new challenge, according to head coach Samantha Woo. “We played different positions today, and we adapted well to that,” senior outside hitter Simon Luu said. Despite the Cardinals’ massive win, they could have played better, according to Woo. “The energy kind of died down and made our game play worse,” sophomore libero Brandon Chen said.

The Cardinals are doing well this season, currently tied 4–1 in second place with the Washington Eagles in the Academic Athletic Association. The only game the Cards lost this season was against the Lincoln Mustangs. “Lincoln is one of our bigger competitors,” Woo said. The team has improved greatly since the start of the season. “I feel like we’re all getting closer, and we’re all working as a team more,” senior middle hitter Popo Liu said. “I feel like that’s one of the biggest things that we’ve accomplished so far.”

Freshman setter Bryant Zhu tips an overpass. Photo by Shyla Duong

The boys’ volleyball team will play against the Galileo Lions tomorrow at 5 p.m.