Make independent PE study programs an option

Army Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) may be known for its color guard and drum corps, but a less talked about element of the program is the opportunity to take a Physical Education (PE) Independent Study course in lieu of a traditional PE class. Students not in JROTC are required to take two years of PE classes at school without the option for independent study. For many Lowell students, they are not involved and do not intend to be involved in JROTC, leaving them without options to independently fulfill these PE requirements. The PE Independence Study program should be made available to all students as the program allows students to take other classes they are passionate about, focus on PE activities that interest them, and supports students who may not feel comfortable participating in group PE classes or using PE locker rooms.

PE class can be an uncomfortable experience for students who feel judged by their classmates or teachers when performing physical activity in a group setting.

According to the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) Student and Family Handbook, PE Independent study is available to students in JROTC programs, students enrolled in SFUSD career pathway programs three years or longer (which are not offered at Lowell), and for those enrolled in alternative or county school programs. But these specific requirements are those of the San Francisco Board of Education not the California Education Code which only requires that students participate in 400 minutes of physical activity every two weeks and complete FitnessGram testing in 9th Grade.

PE class can be an uncomfortable experience for students who feel judged by their classmates or teachers when performing physical activity in a group setting. Changing in the locker room where privacy is limited can be uncomfortable, especially for students with disabilities and nonbinary students. Lowell has made some efforts to be inclusive by establishing a changing space for nonbinary students. However, because it is a closet under the stairs next to the locker room, it has limited physical space and only accommodates one student at a time. This puts students at risk of being late to PE or other classes. Although it is still critical that Lowell provides adequate space for all students to change safely, giving students an option to enroll in PE Independent Study could alleviate some of these issues altogether. 

For academically inclined students, PE class is a burden in their schedule that prevents them from taking courses they are more passionate about. To meet the state minute PE requirements, some students would rather fulfill the mandatory program PE Independent Study. PE Independent Study allows students to complete physical activity on their own time while checking in with a teacher who ensures their completion of the course. This flexibility allows students to take more academic courses and to participate in physical activity that caters to their interests. Students should be afforded the benefits of PE Independent Study without having to participate in a military sponsored program.

Students should be afforded the benefits of PE Independent Study without having to participate in a military sponsored program.

Additionally, many other school districts already offer PE credits for existing student participation in physical activities. For example, the San Ramon Valley Unified School District allows students to earn 10 credits from school athletic teams and five credits from marching band participation. Many private schools in San Francisco still do require a physical education component that may be fulfilled by independent study, although they are not required to meet state requirements. SFUSD could implement similar options.

To ensure that all students feel comfortable in their personal fitness and have the time to pursue their passions, the San Francisco Board of Education must act now to expand the PE independent study program beyond JROTC students.