Filed under All, Freshman Corner

Best places to eat

Tired of school lunch or don’t have time to pack one in the morning? There is a great variety of places to go during your off blocks if you’re feeling hungry. From Stonestown to Lakeshore, here are a few of students’ favorite places to eat:

Dinosaurs

If you’re craving Vietnamese fare, Dinosaurs is a great option. They offer Vietnamese sandwiches, fresh spring rolls and drinks. They also have a wide array of options for omnivores, vegetarians and vegans. You can order everything from a grilled pork sandwich to tofu and taro spring rolls. Don’t forget to buy an iced coffee while you’re there!

Address: 2522 Ocean Ave.

How to get there: Walk along Eucalyptus towards Ocean Avenue (14 minutes), or take the 57 inbound (11 minutes)

What to get: Banh mi ($8.25), spring rolls ($8.50)

Xaria Lubensky

Noah’s Bagels

Unless you have Mr. Hereford as a reg or English teacher, you’re missing out on your bagel intake. Luckily, Noah’s Bagels is located in Lakeshore Plaza, and has bagels for all types of preferences. If you’re craving something sweet, they have a chocolate chip bagel. If you want a savory bagel, they have asiago. You can also ask for your bagel toasted with butter or shmear!

Address: 1521 Sloat Blvd. (Lakeshore Plaza)

How to get there: Walk on Eucalyptus Dr. towards Lakeshore Elementary and turn right onto Havenside Drive (12 minutes)

What to get: asiago with salmon shmear, chocolate chip bagel ($1.25 for bagels only, $2.75 with shmear)

Trader Joe’s

You probably know Trader Joe’s as a grocery store, but they have great lunch options as well. They offer everything from microwaveable meals to pre-packaged salads. Since Trader Joe’s is a grocery store, you can get super affordable snacks and drinks as well.

Address: 265 Winston Drive (in Stonestown)

How to get there: Walk through Rolph Nichols Park, passed the Stonestown parking lot, and to the front of the mall. Trader Joe’s is located near Peet’s Coffee (15 minutes)

What to get: salads, sandwiches, burritos (all items priced at around $4)

Ono Hawaiian BBQ

Feeling hungry but don’t want to break the bank? Ono Hawaiian BBQ offers large portions for a deal you can’t beat. A few of their more popular items include plate lunches and spam musubi. Each plate lunch comes with two scoops of rice, macaroni salad, cabbage and your choice of meat. The Hawaiian-focused restaurant features items such as Hawaiian BBQ chicken, island fire chicken, and island white fish. If you’re not too hungry, you can opt for the mini meal for a slightly lower price.

Xaria Lubensky

Address: 1501 Sloat Blvd. (Lakeshore Plaza)

How to get there: Walk on Eucalyptus Dr. towards Lakeshore Elementary and turn right onto Havenside Drive. It’s right behind Peet’s (12 minutes).

What to get: Spam musubi ($3.39), Hawaiian BBQ Mix ($8.89)

About the Contributors
Sofia Woo, Opinions Editor

Sofia Woo is an Opinions Editor and her favorite articles to cover are controversial opinions. Outside of journalism, Sofia loves to run, eat, read David Sedaris books, and watch The Office.

Xaria Lubensky, Photographer

Xaria Lubensky is a sophomore at Lowell. She will admit that her hobbies sound like a bad dating website bio: reading, music, photography, and traveling. All that's missing is the 'long walks on the beach' bit, and that's just because she hates sand. She's a fan of those questionable books that make people question ones sanity, and honestly thinks taxidermy is pretty cool, even though everyone thinks she's a vegan. (She's most definitely not a vegan.)