Celebrate Black History Month and respect one another everyday

Letter to the Editor

Originally published on March 7, 2016

Dear Lowell students,

Regarding the recent incident that has occurred at our school, I would like to share my opinion on how I felt. I am part African-American, so I include myself in the minority group that we have at Lowell. What I witnessed on the catwalk recently regarding the “honor” of Black History Month truly angered me. Black History Month is in February (the shortest month we have), and is our chance to give tribute to the black people that have advocated for black people’s rights.

Do not get me wrong, African-American music artists like Tupac Shakur have made a huge difference in society, but Black History Month is a celebration that has more meaning than rappers sharing stories about their childhood struggles. The issue black people are dealing with at the moment is so severe that even I get afraid when I see a police car drive by me when I am walking down the street. No one has to experience a horrible event in their life or be fully/partially African-American to support the Black Lives Matter movement.

I understand that people like to make jokes, but regarding a serious matter, it is not acceptable. It is especially serious when certain people do not fully understand as to why we have a month to tribute black history only. I feel as if black people have been seen as an inferior race to others for so long, that when someone does make a difference, they are not recognized. Successful black people, in terms of making a difference, should be recognized every single day, but February is their month to share everything from slavery to Black Lives Matter (and the included music). High school should be a place where everyone feels safe and is able to open up without others judging them.

Please continue to respect one another for their race and religion, and to think carefully before making a joke that could possible hurt another. Thank you.

-Sally Phi,

Reg 1713