Cardinalbotics advocates for a new building on campus

Since 2019, CardinalBotics, Lowell’s robotics team, has been advocating for a new building on Lowell’s campus to be used for robotics and other science classes. CardinalBotics has had nearly all of their practices in the science building for over a decade, and is now advocating for more space and better facilities.

Senior Mira Verma, the head of the building project, has been garnering support for the new building since joining robotics in her sophomore year. She explained that CardinalBotics’ continual practice in the science building has resulted in negative impacts, including damage to classrooms. “We don’t really have a lot of space to test our robot,” she said. “The science building’s second floor, the walls have received a little bit of damage.” CardinalBotics’ goal was to create this building for all STEM classes and clubs, with different opportunities and resources for students, including a 3D printer and makerspaces. Verma said the building, which would be located between the World Language Building and Lakeshore Elementary School, would have benefits for non-robotics students as well. “This is an important investment for the school to make because it creates a space that is completely dedicated to enhancing the educational environment for learning about STEM,” junior Kaitlyn Zhou, another robotics member, said.

Photo courtesy of Cardinalbotics

According to Verma, CardinalBotics is currently undergoing the process of a feasibility study, which involves city officials along with SFUSD officials to notify the robotics team on the buildable size and needed permits for the project. Verma said that the building would cost between $20,000 to $30,000, and feels that the price is worth it for the benefits the building would bring to Lowell. “I think this would have benefits for the next 50 years or so,” Verma said. She hopes that this will be a student resource with a computer lab, whiteboards, desks, and other collaborative spaces for students. “A lot of students would appreciate something like that,” Verma said. “I know I would have in these last four years.”