Media Review: Emergency Intercom

Photos courtesy of Emergency Intercom

There is no emergency, but “micro-influencers’’ Enya Umanzor and Drew Phillips instantly demand your attention with their comedy podcast (also available to watch in video format on Youtube) called Emergency Intercom. Both Drew and Enya are considered influencers, but not necessarily the kind you’d roll your eyes at (Josh Richards/Alix Earle). In my opinion, Drew and Enya are actually cool (they have patchwork tattoos, thrift, and have good music taste). On each weekly episode of Emergency Intercom, they have an hour-long discussion featuring current pop culture, their personal lives and friends, and most importantly, all the inside jokes and absurd slang they can gather. To me, Emergency Intercom is a form of media like an oasis in a desert full of stale jokes and entertainment. I find Drew Phillips and Enya Umanzor to have the same kind of humor as my own, something I seldom see in the media I consume, which draws me in and cultivates a unique appreciation for the podcast. 

Oftentimes, when the jokes I crack land flatter than I expect them to — when I told my table mate I would eat his brain tumor if it ever came back — a podcast with the same humor as mine allows for a bit of a refuge. When watching Emergency Intercom, I often think about how I’d fit right in and be able to banter back and forth with Drew and Enya perfectly. We would come up with the funniest inside jokes and make the most entertaining content. We would joke around and I would make my usual bizarre comments, yet somehow I know Drew and Enya would understand me. I think that’s where the appeal of Emergency Intercom lies: it’s a safe haven for people with an unusual sense of humor.  

Emergency Intercom is a form of media like an oasis in a desert full of stale jokes and entertainment

Not only this, but Enya and Drew have maintained a genuine friendship of more than ten years that only adds to the podcast’s entertaining nature. Their connection and chemistry definitely gets its chance to shine each episode with its glimmer of genuinity and creates smoother, natural, and less afraid topics of discussion for viewers to listen to. It is clear their chemistry is completely unmatched and their rapport and witticisms only build off one another, making for an even more entertaining podcast experience. 

Although Emergency Intercom’s humor doesn’t always land with general audiences, it’s what keeps me hanging onto every word. Jokingly, Enya and Drew once told their seat partner on an airplane that their podcast focuses on ‘’vibe terrorism.’’ Strangely, they were not wrong. Drew and Enya’s conversations often consist of two ‘’micro-celebrities’’ going back and forth in conversation filled with irony and brain rot. It’s almost like an art form. Instead of hearing Enya’s scratchy voice or the fact that Drew hasn’t read a book since elementary school, I see two geniuses sitting side by side, going back and forth in the art of ‘’bitology’’. These ‘’bits’’ (i.e fake scenarios/exclamations one makes up for comedic purposes) range from frequently prank calling the same store in LA to warn them about mustard gas to Drew and Enya trying to troll the audience into believing they are both cousins and dating. Although their humor seems strange, and perhaps even annoying, to the right viewers each hour-long episode is like an ice-cold cup of glacier water during the middle of a thirsty night.

As a result, Emergency Intercom has gained somewhat of a cult following, of which I am a proud member. We are unusually dedicated. We sport merchandise, loyally watch videos, and make Drew and Enya’s conversations more a part of their personality than necessary. Ultimately, the sense of comfort and reassurance that Emergency Intercom provides me is what keeps me tuning in every Friday. When I watch the show, I watch myself. I watch my friends. I watch us interact. I see myself on screen through their humor, and it provides me with both a sense of delight and a true sense of being seen in media.