Vars girls defeat the Lions after loss against the Mustangs

By JoyAnne Ibay

Originally published on February 9, 2016

Senior forward Zada Clark looks for a teammate to pass to. Photo by Kenny Dzib

After losing to the Lincoln Mustangs 56–34 on Jan. 27, the varsity girls’ basketball team redeemed themselves with exceptional ball movement and defensive plays during the 63–24 win against the Galileo Lions on Jan. 29.

The Lady Cards came out strong in the first quarter, with senior co-captain center Francesca Baldwin winning the tip and getting the first basket of the night. The girls were quick and aggressive throughout the quarter, grabbing rebounds and fighting for possessions. Although the Lions hit three three-pointers during the quarter, they were not able to keep up with the Cardinals. The quarter ended with Lowell leading 12–9.

The girls were quick and aggressive throughout the quarter, grabbing rebounds and fighting for possessions.

The intensity of the first quarter continued with a fast two-pointer from senior guard Brandi Wong to start off the second quarter. The Lions played sloppier, committing several fouls, giving the Cards easy free throw shot attempts. Eight of Card’s 16 points in the quarter were foul shots. The girls played well defensively, only allowing the Lions to score four points throughout the quarter. The girls pushed their lead up 15 points, ending the first half 28–13.

The third quarter was the team’s best quarter offensively as well as defensively. Only a minute into the quarter, junior guard Madison Toy deflected a Lion’s pass that then landed into senior co-captain and point guard Tiffani Lowe’s hands. Lowe’s outlet pass to Baldwin, who made the easy bucket, sparked a 22–0 run for the Cardinals. The Lions’ only basket of the quarter came from a free throw. The third quarter ended with the Cardinals dominating the Lions 52–14.

Senior forward Sabrina Borja goes up for the shot. Photo by Kenny Dzib

Although the Lions tried to get back into the game, scoring 10 points in the final quarter, they were no match for the Cardinals’ scoring. Everyone on the team played and contributed at least two points in the game, except for senior forward Carolyn Chacon, who was out with a leg injury. The whole team’s efforts culminated in a 63–24 win over Galileo.

The whole team’s efforts culminated in a 63–24 win over Galileo.

After the tough loss against Lincoln, the girls held a team meeting addressing what was and was not working for them on the court, according to Toy. “All of our feelings from that loss were put into that meeting,” Toy said. “We knew how each other felt after and put that into this [Galileo] game and came out with the win. We got all of our issues out there and I think our chemistry is a lot better after it.”

With this win and their 64–20 win over Balboa Buccaneers on Feb. 2, the team puts their league record up 4–2. The Lady Cards’ next game will be at 5:30 p.m. in a rematch against the Mustangs on Feb. 19 at Lincoln.