Police investigate two robberies of students over past months around school

Originally published on March 19, 2015

Police are still investigating two robberies of Lowell students that occurred in January within blocks of school.

Mid-January, on a Friday afternoon, a student was on his way home on Meadowbrook going towards Sloat when a car pulled over in waiting and a person stepped outside of the car demanding the student’s phone, according to dean Ray Cordoba. The student gave it up and the suspect drove away in the car. Fortunately, the car was spotted and reported to the police, but the investigation is ongoing.

Cordoba encourages students to stay alert, walk in groups, and not try to fight for property.

A week later, two students were coming back from Lakeshore during their lunch period when they were approached by a teenage Asian boy (appearing around the ages of 17–20) with a gun. “The young male showed the two students his gun on his side to let them know he was serious,” Cordoba said. The students gave up their phones and a wallet. Days later, the cops came and lined up pictures of suspects asking the two male victims if they were able to recognize anybody. The police were able to return the victim’s wallet, but this case is still in progress.

Cordoba encourages students to stay alert, walk in groups, and not try to fight for property. “Be vigilant,” Cordoba said. “If it’s a weapon, it’s not worth it. Just give it up. You can’t replace your life.”

On Feb. 3, Student Resource Officer Richard Austria presented a safety presentation during a class assembly reminding students to stay alert of their environment.

During Austria’s presentation, he emphasized three key points for students to remember. First, students should avoid areas that are known for having suspicious activity such as the Tenderloin, according to Austria. Secondly, the officer reminds all students to “keep your head on the swivel” and to stay aware of their surroundings. Lastly, Austria cautions students to keep all things of value, like cell phones, out of view. He also stressed there could be a delay for students trying to call 911 as these callers need to be redirected to the closest dispatch. The emergency number for the San Francisco Police Department is (415) 553–8090.