JV girls’ volleyball team crushes Burton Pumas in latest win

Originally published on October 5, 2016

Sophomore middle blocker Claire Cheang prepares to spike the ball. Photo by Kelley Grade

The JV girls’ volleyball team defeated the Burton Pumas 2–0 on Sept. 30.

Throughout the whole game, the Cardinals were in complete control, leading by wide margins in both sets with scores of 25–5 and 25–9.

“This is the time when we need to help each other.”

Currently, head coach Ronald Palarca has the players experimenting with different positions so that he can see where the players fit best on the court, according to sophomore co-captain and defensive specialist and libero Betty Yang. Playing in different positions requires strong teamwork and communication skills. “Some people can be new to the position and be confused with the rotation,” Yang said. “This is the time when we need to help each other.”

Freshman middle blocker Mariko Tanaka serves the ball in the game against the Wallenberg Bulldogs on Sept. 30. Photo by Kelley Grade

Despite the position change, the Cardinals still played quickly and smoothly. Although the team still needs to work on communication and other skill sets, the girls managed to improve on their serving, a skill they have been focusing on in practice, in this particular game, according to assistant coach Samantha Woo.

In their first game of the regular season, the Cardinals won against the Immaculate Conception Academy Spartans with a score of 2–0. With this victory against the Burton Pumas, the Cardinals are now tied with the Galileo Lions for first place in the Academic Athletic Association league as of today.

The Cardinals’ next match will be against the Wallenberg Bulldogs at Wallenberg High School at 4 p.m. on Oct. 11.