Filed under All, Girls Basketball

Vars girls basketball blast Burton Pumas 50-39 on Senior Night

The varsity girls basketball team crushed the Burton Pumas 50-39 on Feb. 7 in a home game. They are currently in first place in Division 1 of the Academic Athletic Association with nine wins and one loss this season, as they head into the league championship.

Christina Johnson
Blocked by the Burton Pumas, senior forward CJ Kung seeks the chance to pass the ball to her teammates during the Senior Night game on Feb. 7 at home.

The first quarter of the match was intense: both the Cardinals and Pumas maintained a strong front. Twenty seconds into the quarter, junior guard Nicole Chan scored immediately, followed by multiple free throws from the Pumas. Soon after, senior guard KD Lee scored two free throws and successfully stole a ball from the other team, bringing the score up to 18-3.

During the second quarter, the Cardinals continued to score consistently and maintained a strong defense against the Pumas. With the help of their team members who blocked the Pumas from stealing the ball, senior forward Samantha Quach and senior guard Tomi Eijima shot the ball into the hoop with ease. Halfway through the quarter, Eijima scored again with the assistance of senior guard Sam Hum, while Burton was unable to score once. Immediately before the quarter ended, Hum scored with the assistance of junior forward Mandera Silvestro, who swiftly passed the ball to Hum before their opponents could steal the ball, bringing the score to 29-12.

During the third quarter, the Pumas stole multiple times from the Cardinals, scoring point after point in an attempt to catch up to Lowell. However, the Cardinals fended them off easily. At the end of the third quarter, the Cards were in the lead with 43-25.

During the fourth quarter, the Cards continued to dominate the court, scoring consistently until the final second of the match. The last quarter ended with a score of 50-39.

Despite their victory, senior co-captains Lauren Chan and KD Lee felt that the team could have done better on making quick, short passes and trying to get more solid defense.

In preparation for the championship game on Feb. 22, the team will focus on improving their techniques and their game rather than thinking about their opponents’ performance, according to Chan and Lee. “I think, coming in right now our goal is to think about us and not our opponents,” Chan said, “and what we can improve upon [because] today was not our best game.”

About the Photographer
Christina Johnson, Multimedia Editor

I joined the Lowell publication after going to an information meeting. I wanted to become a reporter, but everyone in the information meeting raised their hand to become a photographer...being too shy to be the only one interested in reporting, I raised my hand to become a photographer too. I’m glad I raised my hand that day and now I can enjoy giving Lowell the best graphics I can. When I’m not taking pictures for the publication, I’m taking pictures of cute dogs, pigeons, and flowers I find around the city or playing DDR at an arcade. You definitely won’t find me at the beach because I hate sand.