Filed under All, Boys Basketball

Vars boys basketball falters in home loss to Lincoln Mustangs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior forward Jace Ng seeks his chance to drive to the basket during the game against the Lincoln Mustangs on Friday, Jan. 25 at home.

Lauren Caldwell

Lauren Caldwell

Lauren Caldwell

The varsity boys basketball team lost 76-38 against the Lincoln Mustangs on Friday, Jan. 25 at home.

The first quarter opened with a series of dynamic and aggressive baskets, both teams maneuvering around one another and scoring to almost no opposition. The tide quickly turned against the Cards, however, as the Mustangs seized the ball and aggressively pushed for the Cards’ basket. The brutally fast and messy nature of such a blitz led to numerous unintentional fouls, which only added to Lincoln’s growing lead. The Cards did their best to contest the quarter, but in the end, it proved insufficient. The quarter ended at 21-9.

The second quarter began with a comeback from the Cards, who, through a quick series of free throws and baskets, narrowed the gap between the teams significantly. The barrage of baskets was relentless with both teams flagging as they dashed from one side of the gym to the other. Lincoln pulled ahead once again, exploiting Lowell’s fatigue to exchange their previous flurry of free throws for a succession of scores into the Cards’ basket. In the latter half of the quarter, the Cards barely scored a point. The second quarter finally concluded at 43-21.

The third quarter started off with a lightning-fast three-pointer by the Mustangs, which led into yet another streak, as the Mustangs continued their onslaught and took advantage of the unintentional fouls that occurred. While initially battered by this assault, the Cards’ team began to come back together and contest the Mustangs’ lead. Both junior forward Griffon Shen and senior forward Andrew Ren made baskets in Lowell’s comeback effort, as did junior forward Rishi Raghavan, who deftly slung the ball around the outstretched arms of the Mustangs clustering around the basket. This rally, however, was not enough to turn the tide for the Cards. The third quarter ended at 60-31.

Xinglin Li
Agilely staving off from his opponent’s defense, junior point guard Nathan Ly dribbles furiously down the court.

Moving into the fourth quarter, the Cards’ prospects looked grim. They were behind by nearly 30 points, and their best efforts had made only a small difference. The Mustangs moved with the same speed they had throughout the match and again leaped into a scoring streak. Though senior forward Jace Ng did make a basket during this time, Lincoln’s lead continued to snowball. Near the end, senior guard Darren Loo made a last-minute score, but the fourth quarter ended at 76-38.

Though he applauded his team’s energy, head coach Lavdiotis saw much room for improvement. “I think we showed some energy… Joshua and Griffon especially,” Lavdiotis said. “[But] we were way out of our gaps on defense…we can play better defense on the half-court, better man defense… and we can work like we did yesterday… on finishing at the rim.”

The Cards will participate in the playoffs on Thurs., Feb. 14.

About the Contributors
Lee Wilcox, Reporter

Lee Wilcox is a sophomore at Lowell High School. In the past he has covered sports and contributed to the "A City Divided" cover piece, primarily serving as a researcher and statistics interpreter. A member of Lowell Model United Nations and the Policy Debate Team, he also spends his time languishing over fictional texts, writing his own, and getting far, far too invested in meaningless debates.

Lauren Caldwell, Photographer

As an appreciator of the work of photographers such as Annie Leibovitz and Richard Avedon, I have and continue to be fascinated with the faces of people—their expressions, their environment, and how best to represent the essence of their identity in a two-dimensional snapshot. Generally, you will find me at the movies, the art museum, or a record store. I am a lover of old and foreign films with captivating cinematography and generally, any horror movie I can get my hands on. My favorite film to date would have to be La Dolce Vida and favorite novel— The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. In terms of music, I enjoy punk rock and my taste in art varies—whatever can stir up my emotions.