BUMP, SET, SPIKE: Vars girls’ volleyball attacks this season’s biggest rivals

Originally published on October 23, 2015

Senior middle blocker and outside hitter Kris Hui and senior outside hitter Marissa Koo block a Lion’s spike during the game against Galileo on Oct. 9. Photo by Aida Irving

As the season gets underway, the varsity girls’ volleyball team is on a path to bump-set-spike their way to success, with a focus on strong chemistry and clear communication.

This year, the team is making an effort to include everyone and avoid falling back into cliques. Head coach Steven Wesley believes friendships will come after tournaments and team-bonding outings. Wesley is also focusing on bringing up the energy of the team. “I want to bring out a little more heart in the girls [this season]. A little more fire, a little more fight,” Wesley said.

“I want to bring out a little more heart in the girls [this season]. A little more fire, a little more fight.”

To hone their skills, Wesley is having the girls focus on serve-receive. “We’re trying to get them ready because a lot of the schools we’re playing this year have great servers,” he said. “We have tough hitters, but if we can’t get a pass to our setters, they’re not going to be able to get a hit.”

Senior outside hitter Janet Lao spikes the ball over the top of the Lions’ defense. Photo by Aida Irving

This season, the team has been ending practice with “wing drills,” during which they are pitted against their coaches in a scrimmage, to better prepare themselves for competition. “At first, no one communicated and no one was making an effort to dive for the ball,” senior middle and right side hitter Celina Kong said. “After we switched sides, we knew we needed to change our mentality, talk it up on the court, and cheer as a team after each point.”

Senior outside hitter Janet Lao smashes the ball over the Lions defense. Photo by Aida Irving

Though the team’s structure is relatively unchanged, this year brings the addition of Wallenberg to the Academic Athletic Association. Previously the league only comprised of Lowell, Lincoln, Washington, Balboa, and Galileo. “I think a lot of people tend to underestimate that team [Wallenberg], but really they have a lot of hidden talents,” Kong said.

“She’s an amazing setter and she can put up a great block.”

Wesley also added that Washington and Wallenberg are strong competitors with new and returning players, though Lowell will also be facing other high-achieving teams from the Bay Area, including Valley Christian High School, Mercy Burlingame, and San Jose’s Archbishop Mitty, one of the top teams in the nation.

In spite of this year’s stiff competition, Wesley feels confident that the team has a great deal of potential to go far. Fortunately, the new season has brought fresh blood to the team, including sophomore standout Jane Seslar. According to senior middle and outside hitter Kris Hui, Seslar moved up from JV midway through last season and contributed greatly to their success. “She’s an amazing setter and she can put up a great block,” she said.

Senior middle block and right side Celina Kong prepares to spike the ball over the net. Photo by Aida Irving

The players expressed excitement for the championships and beyond in the later part of the season. Following the AAA championship, teams play winners from other areas of Northern California. Lowell has achieved great success in past championships; winning this year would be their fourth consecutive victory. “I would really like to see us go past the first round of Norcals,” Kong said.

Lowell has achieved great success in past championships; winning this year would be their fourth consecutive victory.

In one of their most recent games against the Galileo Lions, the Lady Cards won 25–20, 25–10, and 25–17. Despite the victory, the team still feels there is room for improvement. “We had a slow start and our energy was low,” Kong said. “But Galileo wasn’t one of our strongest competitors, so although we didn’t play the best we could, we still won in three sets.”

Thus far, the Lady Cardinals have experienced a successful season. The team has already defeated all the schools in their division, which include the Lincoln Mustangs, Washington Eagles, Galileo Lions, Wallenberg Bulldogs and Balboa Buccaneers, at least once with a record of 6–0.

The Cardinals’ next game will take place against the Eagles today at 5:15 p.m. at Lowell.