Filed under All, Girls Basketball

JV girls basketball upend Balboa Buccaneers 55-22

“Let’s go, keep it up, keep that Cardinal spirit up!”

As benched teammates shouted uplifting chants, the JV girls basketball team ruled the court against the Balboa Buccaneers 55-22 on Jan. 10 at Lowell. This was the Cardinals’ second game and second win of the season.

Susan Wong
Shoot the hoop! Freshman point guard Hunter Chan leaps for the basket during the game against Balboa Buccaneers on Jan. 10 at home.

The Cardinals got off to a fiery start, scoring five points in the first minute of the first quarter. Their tight defense prevented the Buccaneers from making any progress. Freshman point guard Elle Ladine and her teammates made quick drives down the court, easily dodging the Bucs on their way to the basket. The first quarter ended with a score of 24-2 after the Bucs made their first basket with seconds to spare.

The second quarter began with a string of scores for the Cardinals, who reached 34 points before the Buccaneers scored a layup. The Cardinals continued to steal and regain possession of the ball through quick rebounds and passes. The Bucs brought home two more points, ending the quarter with 10 points to the Cards’ 36.

After half-time, the Cardinals jumped back into the game, immediately making two free-throws. They continued to dominate the court, collecting an additional four points after a layup and whirlwind touch-pass. With only a minute left, Balboa struck back with two layups and a three-pointer. In the last five seconds, the Bucs fouled but the Cardinals missed their free-throw. Still, Lowell finished third quarter with a 47-14 lead.

In the final quarter, the Buccaneers made their last effort to catch up to the Cardinals, gaining eight points in the first five minutes. However, the Cardinals’ continuous passes and layups kept them far in the lead. The Cardinals won with a score of 55-22.

Susan Wong
Freshman point guard Elle Ladine strives to drive down the court under the Buccaneers’ attentive watch.

Ladine was happy about the results and the Cardinals’ offense, but she sees room for improvement in the team’s communication and defense. She is also working on reaching her personal goals. “Right now I’m just working on being more confident with the ball,” Ladine said.  “I can always do better, that’s what I like to say.”

The Cardinals will face off against the Immaculate Conception Academy Wolves at 4 p.m. on Jan. 16 at ICA.

About the Photographer
Susan Wong, Editor-in-Chief

Susan is a senior who spends way too much time in the Journ room. When she is not editing photos, working on the website, designing pages or editing a story, you can find her running in circles around the track, lifting heavy pieces of metal or tossing the pigskin on the field.