FS girls’ volleyball seeks to improve game IQ, outsmarting competition

By Ophir Cohen-Simayof

Originally published on September 25, 2014

Sophomore Naomi Miner attempts to spike the ball in the Cardinals’ 2–0 victory over Salesian on Sept. 11. Photo by Amber Ly

Making their way to the top, the frosh-soph Lowell Cardinals advance their volleyball Intelligence Quotients to win.

“A lot of teams are all about power, while we use power and intelligence at the same time.”

When players use their volleyball IQs, they are strategizing instead of just trying to get the ball over the net. They target a specific area on the opponent’s court, more specifically any weak players or open spots. “You have to be a little bit sharper than your opponent,” head coach Steve Wesley said. “A lot of teams are all about power, while we use power and intelligence at the same time. By doing that, it allows us to not use up as much energy, but to still surpass them overall.”

Freshman Jane Salesar competes in Lowell’s win over Salesian on Sept. 11. Photo by Amber Ly

The team practices two hours every day. Practices consist of hard, sweat inducing exercises, including drills to improve serves, sets, and hits. The team breaks down the basic components of volleyball to strengthen both defense and offense. “We try to be well rounded volleyball players,” defensive specialist sophomore Julia Baran said. “Every practice, we play together as a team to combine those skills.”

“Every practice, we play together as a team to combine those skills.”

During practices, the team also gets together as a group to map out the upcoming game. “I always give them direction, never leaving them alone,” Wesley said. “And, that is just what I am going to continue to do: push them hard and make sure they stay mentally tough and focused the entire time.”

The group also bonds outside of practice. Each FS member is paired with a varsity partner, forming a ‘little sister, big sister’ bond. “We get snacks for our sisters, and hang up posters for them during championships to boost team spirit,” sophomore outside hitter Emily Yee. “This makes both teams, FS and varsity, closer.”

Come and see the next game of the league, on Friday, October 10th, at Lowell at 4:00 pm against Burton.