Cross country team adds another championship title to its belt

Varsity boys’ team compete in All-City Finals at Golden Gate Park on Nov. 16. Photo by Kelley Grade

The cross country team swept the competition at All-City Finals in Golden Gate Park on Nov. 16, making it 11 consecutive championship titles.

Senior Sierra Brill set the girls’ course record with a time of 17:26, beating the previous record of 17:42. Juniors Natalie Ewe and Alyssa Young took second and third place, respectively, in the varsity girls’ race, with times of 18:38 and 20:02.

In the varsity boys’ race, senior Mikolaj Krajewski took first place with a time of 15:48. Juniors Alexander Parker and Maximilian Tiao took second and third in the same race, with times of 16:34 and 16:37, respectively.

Senior Mikolaj Krajewski finishes first in the boys’ race with a time of 15:48. Photo by Kelley Grade

This year, the JV boys’ beat the competition, earning 15 points, the best possible score. Sophomore Noah Battaglia took first with a time of 16:35, followed by sophomore James Holcombe, with a time of 16:46 and freshman Zachary Parker, with a time of 16:53.

The JV girls’ team also took first with 21 points. Sophomore Sophia Riordan took first with a time of 21:48 and freshman Emi Steedman second with 21:51.

Marking the end of yet another successful season, many runners were proud of the end result. “It was a tough but rewarding year,” senior Preston Tai said. “I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to run.”

The team moved on to compete at the California Interscholastic Federation State Championships at Fresno, California on Nov. 26. Overall, the team placed 18 out of 23 in the Division 1 boys’ race and 20 out of 23 in the Division 1 girls’ race.