Everything you need to know about the eyebrow phenomenon

By Danielle Flores

Originally published on December 15, 2014

Confidence and beauty are shown more and more through makeup. Nowadays, people go to great lengths to have their eyebrows done and filled in. But why put the time and effort? Though it might not have been considered as important in previous generations, the obsession over done eyebrows has only heightened and their importance highlighted.

The whole eyebrow phenomenon recently blew up with Eyebrows On Fleek,” a viral video posted by user Peaches Monroee on Vine — a social network that revolves around 5-to-6-second long clips — that established the trendy phrase and brought the craze over nicely done eyebrows to surface. According to Vine Achievement Awards, “Eyebrows on Fleek” is in the top four being considered for “Vine of the Year.” “On fleek,” just like “on point” is used to describe brows that are well done in terms of shape, color and form. All around celebrities are not only using this word but singing about it, like young American singer and actress Ariana Grande who performed “Eyebrows on Fleek,” live on Music Television (MTV) early this year.

Since the Vine came out, “on fleek” has become a common expression to describe anything that is on the right track, or is looking good. Even well-known food-chain businesses and restaurants such as International House of Pancakes (iHOP) has posted on their own social twitter account “pancakes on fleek.”

“When my eyebrows are on fleek, my day is on fleek,” senior Rene Barron said. Many girls and guys began to notice their eyebrows after seeing this infamous eyebrow Vine. “‘Eyebrows on point’ was just starting to get around and I was like, ‘Wow, I wonder what I’ll look like with good brows,” senior Anabell Gimena said. “There was a party coming up so I was like ‘I need to get them done.’”

But the eyebrow phenomenon did not just surface due to a popularized Vine. Having “on fleek” eyebrows goes beyond just adhering to the video — it also promotes confidence. “It personally makes me feel better knowing that my eyebrows look okay,” junior Melanie Inouye said. “I feel like eyebrows are something people in today’s society really notice,” junior Melanie Inouye said.

At the end of the day, a great deal of confidence stems from appearance, and for both boys and girls, having clean and defined eyebrows really make a difference in how a person can feel about himself or herself. “I wanted to get my eyebrows done to help raise my self esteem,” senior Melissa Chan said. “After doing my eyebrows, I feel like I’m glowing and I feel better about myself.”

Having “on fleek” eyebrows goes beyond just adhering to the video — it also promotes confidence.

For many girls, getting their eyebrows done is a rite of passage. “My mom said it was time to look like a big girl,” senior Janifer Cruz said. For some, eyebrows inspired by adored movie stars and actresses add to the idea of young girls coming-of-age. “I’m named after Holly Golightly from Breakfast At Tiffany’s. Audrey Hepburn [who plays Golightly] has these amazing brows,” senior Katherine Balistrieri said. “I’d like to think my brows transport my look from modern to classic.”

Girls are not the only ones who get their eyebrows done. “My mom encouraged me to keep my eyebrows neat and clean so I went and got them done,” junior Jonathan Acevedo said. “Now I keep doing it because I like how they come out. I think eyebrows just make me more secure about my face. Just like when I don’t get a haircut, I don’t feel clean and neat when I don’t get them done.”

After being interviewed, a handful of students with exceptionally O.P. (on point) eyebrows have agreed to reveal their beloved eyebrow salons with The Lowell. Because all brows are different, finding the right place and shape for you really comes down to trial and error. Many students have started this process by venturing out around the city in search for the perfect eyebrow place.

Natural Nails

Address: Flood Building, 870 Market St, San Francisco, CA

Phone Number: (415) 989–3412

Cost: $10

Wax/Thread: Wax

“I get mine done downtown at the James Flood building at a place called Natural Nails,” Chan said. “My friend recommended it to me because she had a friend who went there whose eyebrows looked O.P. [(on point)]. It’s only $10, and I recently recommended it to a friend and she loves it.” From Market Street, students can hop onto the 14 MUNI bus toward Daly City and get off on Mission Street to find some other treasured places to get their eyebrows done.

Senior Annalise Tran shapes and fills her brows herself using Anastasia dipbrow, Anastasia brow duo powder and Sonia kashuk angled eyebrow brush.

Golden Nails

Address: 5817 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94112 (415) Phone Number: 469–9376

Cost: $6

Wax/Thread: Wax

“What makes Golden Nails special is that the lady who does eyebrows does them exactly how you want them to come out,” senior Angelica Reyes said. “It is only $6 so it’s very reasonable.”

Senior Katherine Balestrieri does her own brows by following her natural curves and filling them in to enhance shape with NYX Eyebrow Pencil and Too Faced Brow Envy Kit.

New York Hair & Nail

Address: 3483 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110

Phone Number: (415) 285–8679

Cost: $8

Wax/Thread: Wax

Many students also go and visit New York Nail, an itty bitty salon and nail shop that does eyebrows for $8. The women that does it is also fairly good. Some students care less about the shape of their eyebrows and just want to get their eyebrows cleaned.

Junior Hina Iwata creates her signature eyebrow style by herself with Maybelline Define-a-brow and NYX eyebrow powder.

Zen Beauty Spa

Address: 221 West Portal Avenue San Francisco CA 94127

Phone Number: (415) 661–6852

Cost: $8-$12

Wax/Thread: Wax

Senior Rene Barron shapes and fills her eyebrows in herself using a Sonia Kashuk Brow Definer in Haze and Benefit Watt’s Up! highlighter.

“I go to Zen Spa in West Portal, where they have reasonable prices [ranging from $8-$12] for good eyebrows,” senior Olivia Kanes said. “I ask for the waxer to just clean them up; no shaping.” Waxing is always an option at the mentioned salons but some students thread. According to The Source Holistic Centre, threading, which is an ancient form of hair removal originating in India, is when a thin cotton thread is pulled along unwanted hair in a twisting motion, removing the entire hair follicle. “My first time I did waxing, but then later on I decided to just stick to threading because it grasps the shape of my eyebrows much better,” senior Simran Kumar said.

Rani Threads Magic

Address: 2435 Mission St #11San Francisco, CA 94110

Phone: (510) 648–1163

Cost: $7

Wax/Thread: Thread

In Mission District on 20th is a great place to go to get eyebrows done for $7. “The prices are low which is nice and Rani is super funny, so the overall atmosphere of the place is great,” Kumar said. Others go as far as out of the city to thread.

Senior Anabell Gimena gets her eyebrows threaded at Ziba Beauty. To fill them in she uses Sonia Kashuk Spoolie, NYX Auto Eyebrow Pencil, and Sonia Kashuk Clear Brow Gel.

Ziba Beauty

Address: 43 Serramonte Center, Daly City, CA 94015

Phone Number: (415) 562–9295

Cost: $12

Wax/Thread: Thread

“I go to Ziba at Serramonte,” Gimena said. “I ask for Monica. I go there because that’s the first place I went to get them done and Monica does my brows perfectly.” Although Ziba might be a little bit pricier than other salons, Gimena recommends this salon for both eyebrow cleaning and shaping.

Junior Jonathan Acevedo gets his brows done at Hollywood Eyebrows, where he asks for a cleanup without any trimming to keep his brows’ original shape.

Hollywood Eyebrows

Address: 3251 20th Avenue Suite 137, San Francisco, CA 94132

Phone Number: (415) 564–7777

Cost: $10

Wax/Thread: Thread

From the outskirts of San Francisco to the heart of downtown, there are places everywhere that students can go to get their eyebrows done. Luckily for Lowell students looking to become a part of this phenomenon, there is a popular local threading shop located on the lower level of Stonestown Galleria called Hollywood Eyebrows. “I like this place because it’s cheap for eyebrows and they make them look really nice,” Acevedo said. According to Rita Dawadi, a threader at Hollywood Eyebrows, threading lasts longer than waxing and is a more natural process because threading doesn’t involve using chemicals. “Eyebrows are important because they are framework to your face,” Dawadi said. “We offer a natural way to get hairs off your skin.” To senior Kala Jones, the environment is safe, clean, and threading doesn’t break her skin out. “They keep my eyebrows on fleek,” Jones said.

The Point

While eyebrow aficionados may disagree about which salons and eyebrow shapes are best, they all agree that well-groomed eyebrows are absolutely essential. ” I feel like good eyebrows complete one’s face,” Kumar said. “I relate undone eyebrows to armpits…they are just two things that you gotta keep in shape and out of site.” To those who have taken the leap to do their eyebrows, it is an undeniable, basic truth that if your eyebrows are on point, your life is on point.