Vars boys’ tennis serve up another victory against the Westmoor Rams

Originally published on April 26, 2016

Junior Jack Leong throws up the ball for his serve. Photo by Ciara Kosai

With dedication and no mercy, the boys’ tennis team maintain its winning streak, defeating the Westmoor Rams 5–0 on April 15.

Sophomore Jacob Goldstein led the Cardinals in the singles one match with a 6–1, 6–0 victory. Number two singles player, junior Maxwell Ho, continued the Cardinal dominance, winning 6–0, 6–0. Junior Ethan Trinh also defeated his number three singles opponent, 6–0, 6–1.

The doubles players also brought in two wins. Number one doubles partners, juniors Ryan Wong and Mitchell Wong, came out strong, with a 6–0, 6–0 win. Number two doubles, juniors Jarek Chu and Jack Ieong, finished off with a successful 6–0, 6–2.

Junior Ryan Wong prepares his forehand swing to return the ball. Photo by Ciara Kosai

Due to the lack of Rams’ players, there was no number four singles match nor number three doubles match.

Nonetheless, coach John Mohr is proud of the team’s victory. “Our players were aggressive in their play, enabling them to take control of the match,” he said. “They were into the game both mentally and physically, and their play showed their dedication to the sport.”

“They were into the game both mentally and physically, and their play showed their dedication to the sport.”

On April 20, the Cardinals extended their winning streak to 8–0 with a 7–0 victory against the Washington Eagles. They will advance to the playoffs on May 3 at 4 p.m. at Golden Gate Park against the Balboa Buccaneers.

Sophomore Jacob Goldstein serves the ball in his singles match. Photo by Ciara Kosai