Cross Country runs towards victory

The cross country team runs the 5,000 meter meet against the Pumas, Huskies, and Wolves on Nov. 9. Photo by Ciara Kosai

O n Nov. 9, the cross country team participated in a meet against the Burton Pumas, San Francisco International Huskies, and the Academy Wolves at Golden Gate Park.

In the boys’ race, junior Henry Lei placed first with a time of 17:14, followed by sophomore Norton Choy second, 17:42, then closely behind came sophomore Owen Choy with a time of 17:59 in third.

Senior Emil Rodriguez out on his own in the race. Photo by Ciara Kosai

In the girls’ race, junior Sophia Riordan finished first with a time of 22:21, followed by sophomores Hannah Chou and Isabelle Sam with times of 22:26 and 22:28, respectively.

Head coach Mike Prutz thought the girls’ division had great improvements, with five girls that finished at the 22 minute mark.

Overall, the cross country team placed first with a score of 15, followed by the Pumas with a score of 50, the Huskies with a score of 90, and the Wolves with a score of 107.

Head coach Mike Prutz thought the girls’ division showed great improvements, with five girls that finished at the 22-minute mark. “I think I have definitely improved this year,” Riordan said. ”We do a lot of hard work in practice which challenges us mentally and physically.”

Advertisment

On Wednesday, the entire team competed in the All-City Championships at Golden Gate Park. Prutz expects the team to take first in this next race, “We are looking to get some records too,” Prutz said.

Lei believes that he will perform better at the Championships. “I definitely feel like at All-City I can push harder to have a faster time,” Lei said.