Filed under All, Boys Basketball

With close to double the points, varsity boys basketball defeat the Buccaneers on Jan. 16

Senior guard Jared Wong jumps and shoots the ball in an attempt to make a two-pointer against the Balboa Buccaneers on Jan. 16. Photo by Christina Johnson

The varsity boys basketball team defeated the Balboa Buccaneers 65–33 on Jan. 16 at home, scoring almost twice as many points as the Buccaneers.

The Cardinals quickly established control of the game, as they won the tip-off. Immediately after, senior forward Ryan Gauthier scored. Senior guard Peter Lee made four two-point shots, giving the Cardinals an advantage of 19–8 by the end of the first quarter.

The boys continued to impress the audience by making several two-pointers and three-pointers. Senior guard Jared Wong and junior guard Jace Ng each made a three-pointer. At the end of the first half, the Cards led 33–18.

In the second half, Lee, Gauthier and senior center Jay Jaber scored several two-point shots, helping the team widen the score gap. The Cards maintained their momentum in the third quarter, ending with a lead of 43–25.

Junior guard Jace Ng aims for a three-pointer. Photo by Anita Liu

In the last quarter, junior guard and forward Andrew Ren scored the last point of the game for the Cards. With an even wider difference in points by the end of the game, the Cardinals emerged victorious against the Buccaneers, 65–33.

Senior guard Peter Lee makes a layup. Photo by Christina Johnson

The Cardinals earned two additional wins in the AAA league on Jan. 18 and Jan. 22 against the Academy Wolves and the Galileo Lions, 72–51 and 44–38, respectively. On Jan. 26, the Cards lost to the Mission Bears 68–54.

The Cards’ next game is against the Lincoln Mustangs at 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 30 at home.

About the Writer