Roars at the Lions: JV girls basketball annihilates Galileo 40–0

Sophomore forward Mandera Silvestro shoots a basket in a game against the Lions on Feb. 5. Photo by Anita Liu

The JV girls basketball team crushed the Galileo Lions 40–0 on Feb. 5 at Lowell. The team is currently first in Division 1 of the Academic Athletic Association with a winning streak of 8–0, allowing them to clinch a spot in the playoffs where they will face off against the Mission Bears.

The Cardinals started out strong, scoring less than a minute in while preventing the Lions from making any baskets. Sophomore guard Asikeen Sroles collided with one of Galileo’s team members, awarding the Cardinals a free-throw, which they made on the second try. The team continuously made successful passes to each other, ending the first quarter with a score of 16–0.

The team easily continued their streak during the second quarter, despite a series of fouls awarded to both teams. Amidst a countdown from the off-court members of the team, Sophomore forward Mandera Silvestro managed to score with only 3 seconds left in the second quarter, bringing the score to 28–0.

With more continuous passes and layups by Sophomore forward Erin Trefny and other players, the Cardinals brought the score up by 8 points within the first couple minutes of the third quarter. Though the Lions were awarded several free-throws, they didn’t manage to score. The last part of the quarter resulted in no change in the score, ending with the Cards in the lead 36–0.

Within two minutes of the last quarter, Sophomore forward Hannah Dedji made a shot and put two points in the scoreboard for the Cards. After Sroles almost scored again, Freshman guard Chloe Shannon managed to steal the ball and pass it up to Dedji. She threw it to Sroles who didn’t disappoint and earned 2 more points for her team.

Freshman guard Kirstel Antonio defends the ball from the Lions. Photo by Anita Liu

Despite a fierce struggle between the two teams, both did not score any more points. With 12 seconds left in the game, Galileo had one last chance to put points on the board. The crowd waited with baited breath as the ball hit the rim of the hoop and bounced off. The Cardinals won with a miraculous score of 40–0.

The team was excited after the game. Trefny’s hopes for the season are to “finish strong, win the champs, and stay undefeated.”

The team’s next game is against the Immaculate Conception Academy Wolves at 4 p.m. on Feb. 20 at Lowell.