Filed under All, Boys Basketball

JV boys basketball remains undefeated, beating the Buccaneers 35–18

Sophomore guard Cal Ladine shoots a three-pointer at a game against the Balboa Buccaneers on Feb. 6. Photo by Christina Johnson

The JV boys basketball team defeated the Balboa Buccaneers 35–18 on Feb. 6 at Balboa High School.

The Cardinals scored the first basket within the first minute with sophomore guard Cal Ladine’s two-pointer. The Cardinals established a point gap between the Buccaneers when sophomore forward Rishi Raghavan successfully scored consecutive two-pointers. After Ladine scored a three-pointer, the Cardinals finished the first quarter leading 9–5.

Sophomore guard Griffon Shen tips off the ball as his teammates watch. Photo by Anita Liu

The Cardinals opened the second quarter with consecutive three-pointers. With Raghavan’s two pointer, they continued to lead throughout the second quarter, going into half-time with a 19–7 lead.

Sophomore guard Griffon Shen added two points in the beginning of the third quarter and sophomore guard Matthew Ku followed with a three-pointer. Raghavan and freshman guard Isaac Petalver both contributed two points, with Petalver making a layup within the last 20 seconds. The Cards finished the third quarter leading 28–14.

Then, Ladine made two shots within 22 seconds adding 5 more points to the scoreboard. Raghavan topped off the game with a two-pointer, ending it in the Cardinal’s favor 35–18.

The Cardinals are up against the Mission Bears 4:00 pm on Feb. 20 at Mission High School.

About the Writer