Filed under All, Boys Golf

Vars boys’ golf misses mark against Eagles 222–235

Senior Maxwell Hum prepares for a swing in game against the Washington Eagles on March 23. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The varsity boys’ golf team was defeated 222–235 by the Washington Eagles on March 23 at Lincoln Golf Course. The team currently has a record of 1–2 in the Academic Athletic Association.

The Cardinals and Eagles faced off in two nine-holes. The game began with sunny weather but, by the time the players finished their last hole, the sky was overcast and the coach was worried it was going to rain. However, the game finished without any disruptions.

After failing to win the championship match last season, the team wanted to redeem themselves this season, according to head coach Juan Lopez. “I think my golfers are very focused this year and are hungry to return back to the championship,” Lopez said.

Lopez is hoping to improve the team’s ability to play under pressure. He has the players warm up by doing a golf-off where they compete in high pressure game-like scenarios. The player who lacks the success would then be trained to be physically and mentally tougher.

Senior Kyle Chu sets the ball on the ground. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The team agrees that they need to practice more if they want to get to the championships this year. “I think we have a good chance of making it to the championship, as long as our talented players continue to work hard and remain focused,” Lopez said.

The Cards fell by one point to the Lincoln Mustangs, with a loss of 213–214 on Monday. They will face the Galileo Lions next Thursday, April 13 3:30 p.m. at Lincoln Golf Course.

About the Writer
Allison Dummel, Opinions Editor

When she isn't stressing about the next issue deadline, Allison Dummel spends her time reading, writing stories, drawing comics, and being gay.