Bulldogs heel to Cardinals 6–1 in badminton brawl

Junior Nathan Li prepares to return the Wallenberg Bulldog’s shot on April 6. Photo by Jennifer Cheung

O n April 6, the Lowell Cardinals defeated the Wallenberg Bulldogs 6–1 in their last home game of the season. The Cardinals are currently tied for first with the Burton Pumas and Lincoln Mustangs in the Academic Athletic Association, 6–0.

The Cardinals are currently tied for first with the Burton Pumas and Lincoln Mustangs in the Academic Athletic Association, 6–0.

The girls’ singles sustained a winning record with 21–4 and 21–3. Despite missing a few shots in the beginning, senior Tiffany Truong was able to catch up to her opponent. With her agile footwork, she moved swiftly from the center of the court and returned several corner shots. In the ensuing match, Truong made an unexpected net kill which ended the rally and ultimately won her the match.

The boys’ singles, however, did not proceed as smoothly. In the beginning, junior Alex Owyang dominated his opponent, but failed to maintain his momentum. Throughout the match, his opponent had successfully returned many of his intense smashes which led to Owyang’s defeat, 21–16. After receiving support from his coach and teammates, Owyang concentrated on winning the second set. He made consecutive successful drop shots, however, Owyang’s lead fell in the middle of the match after several unsuccessful shots, resulting in a 21–15 loss.

For girls’ doubles, senior Ying Ying Yan and sophomore Betty Yang outran their opponents 21–9 and 21–6. Yan started off with gentle hairpin net shots. When the Bulldogs expected another gentle shot, she immediately launched a quick downward kill. Near the end, Yang made a series of lethal net shots that contributed to their win.

The boys’ doubles also triumphed, winning their sets 21–8 and 21–13. During the rallies, sophomore Adam Lichtmacher returned the opponent’s shots with quick lifts, while junior Zilong Wang maintained strong defense on the backcourt. Wang was able to cover his partner with effective smashes, leading to their victory.

The Cardinals will face off against the Academy Wolves on April 11 at 4 p.m.