JV girls’ hoops: Undefeated no more

By Cynthia Leung

Originally published on February 23, 2015

Freshman forward Joanne Thai tips in the ball during the team’s game against the Lincoln Mustangs on Feb. 9. Photo by Karina Huft

The JV girls’ basketball team lost 34–31 in a home game against the Lincoln Mustangs on Feb. 9, dropping its season record to 7–1.

The Cardinals quickly gained possession of the ball after tip-off and scored the first two points of the game with a layup by sophomore guard Madeline Quach. But the Mustangs answered quickly with two points of their own, tying the game 2–2. The Cardinals would then go on a 6–0 run. However, the Mustangs would take the lead with an 8–0 run towards the end of the quarter. With less than 30 seconds left in the first quarter, Quach scored another two points off a rebound, ending the first quarter 10–10.

Despite starting off the second quarter with a jump shot by sophomore guard and forward Sharon Hsu, the Mustangs outscored the Cardinals and took the lead 23–16. “We started rushing and Lincoln took advantage by scoring off our turnovers,” head coach Christine Hosoda said.

“We definitely could have improved our communication and composure.”

The Cardinals’ slow offense and turnovers extended into the third quarter. Although Hsu started the team off with two points early in the quarter, they were unable to score again until freshman guard Joanne Thai scored two points with less than 90 seconds left in the third quarter. “Because of the pressure, we got flustered, and it led to turnovers,” freshman guard Samantha Kwock said. “We definitely could have improved our communication and composure.” The girls held only four points in the quarter, trailing 27–20 going into the fourth.

The Cardinals fought for every loose ball in the final quarter, allowing the girls to outscore the Mustangs 11–6. “We played with a sense of urgency,” Hosoda said. “We were more aggressive and took care of the ball, gave ourselves more chances to score, and got stops.”

They cut the Mustangs’ lead to 32–29 with 50 seconds left in the game. From that point on, both teams were sent to the free throw line back and forth multiple times. However, the Cardinals’ late-minute offense was not enough, and they fell short 34–31.

The Cardinals will face the Washington Eagles in a playoff game at Lowell on Feb. 25 at 4 p.m.