Girls’ golf team swings season in its favor with win over Marshall

By Yolanda Feng

Originally published on September 28, 2016

Sophomore Stephanie Sunga prepares to hit the ball during the game against the Marshall Phoenixes on Sept. 23. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The varsity girls’ golf team defeated the Marshall Phoenixes 199–231 on Sept. 23, extending its regular season streak to 5–0.

Senior Jocelyn Chu made an unexpected putt from far away and sophomore Stephanie Sunga made a par. Freshman Lauren Shew scored 32 points, the best of the day. “My short game was good today,” Shew said. “I tried to keep my drives really straight and tried to chip [the ball] really close to make a putt”.

Junior Lorelei Vaisse sets the ball on the tee before starting the sixth hole. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The team has shown their skills with impressively low scores and aims to go to the NorCal tournament, the competition after league championships. Head coach Robert Ray anticipates great performances from the team this year. “This year’s team is going to be real good, probably the best ever,” Ray said.

“This year’s team is going to be real good, probably the best ever.”

Currently, the Cardinals stand undefeated at first place in the Academic Athletic Association league. They previously won against the Lincoln Mustangs 175–241, Galileo Lions 178–244, ICA Spartans 209–267 and Balboa Buccaneers 174–243.

The Cardinals’ next match will be against the Burton Pumas at Golden Gate at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday.