Vars girls’ volleyball serves up a win in first regular season game

Originally published on September 20, 2016

Senior libero and defensive specialist Lindsay Hom digs for the ball in the teams 3–1 victory over the Wallenberg Bulldogs on September 16. Photo by Chris Hackett

The varsity girls’ volleyball team kicked off its regular season on September 16 with a 3–1 victory against the Wallenberg Bulldogs.

The first set kept the spectators on the edges of their seats as both teams fought for the lead. Later in the set, the Bulldogs began to pull away, but the Cardinals responded with powerful blocks and spikes. However, it was not enough and the first set ended 25–23, with the Lady Cards dropping the set.

The Cardinals began the second set slow, but they picked it up and tied the game 11–11 with strong spikes by the front line. The Cards eventually pulled ahead by continuing their strong play. They later won the set 25–22.

Senior middleback Naomi Miner spikes the ball over the net. Photo by Chris Hackett

The Lady Cards carried their momentum into the third set. The girls’ ball placement and blocking helped the team take the third set 25–17.

In the fourth and final set, the team dominated the Bulldogs. The Cardinals tipped the ball over the Bulldogs’ blocks, spiked the ball into open spots and played well defensively. The Lady Cards swept the set 25–6 to win the game.

Senior setter Madison Kittredge serves the ball. Photo by Chris Hackett

Since the team had gone undefeated in every set of all of their pre-season games, the loss in the first set was a surprise to the team. The Cards had underestimated the other team, according to head coach Kelly Sung. “The other team put up a good block which we weren’t necessarily expecting,” said sophomore hitter Eunice Go. “We had to adjust and realize where we were trying to hit the ball wasn’t working for us.”

The Lady Cardinals will play in a non-league game against the St. Ignatius Wildcats at 6:15 p.m. on today.