New mural proposed

The+walls%2C+outside+of+the+book+room%2C+will+be+painted+by+muralists+and+Lowell+students.+
The walls, outside of the book room, will be painted by muralists and Lowell students.

Xinglin Li

Xinglin Li

Anna Kaplan, Reporter

The walls outside of the book room will be painted by muralists and Lowell students. Photo by Xinglin Li.

Lowell will be seeing some new art on its walls in the not too distant future. Assistant principal Orlando Beltran says the Lowell administration recently contacted Precita Eyes, a San Francisco mural organization based in the Mission District, to paint a mural on the walls adjacent to and in front of the book room on the campus’ main floor.

Beltran came up with the idea to paint a mural in this location after the lockers positioned by the book room were removed during the 2015-2016 school year.

Although a final decision about what will be depicted in the mural has yet to be made, one idea stands out for Beltran as the best option. “I think it would be cool to do a mural of Lowell in the past and then Lowell now and the vision we have for Lowell in the future,” Beltran said. Another idea that currently stands is a mural depicting the diversity of San Francisco.

“I think it would be cool to do a mural of Lowell in the past and then Lowell now and the vision we have for Lowell in the future.”

While a timeline for creating the mural has not been determined, Beltran says he hopes to get the project off the ground in the near future. His first step in launching this project is to create a student mural committee with help from art teacher Kristen Janssen that would collaborate with the Precita Eyes muralists to design and construct the mural.

Photo by Xinglin Li.