JV girls’ volleyball takes down the Wallenberg Bulldogs 2–0

Sophomore setter Cheryl Cheng and sophomore middle blocker Pearl Vermilyea block the ball during the non-league against the Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory Fightin’ Irish on Sept. 13. Photo by Esther Posillico.

The JV girls’ volleyball team triumphed over the Wallenberg Bulldogs 2–0 on Sept. 22. Currently, they hold second place in the Academic Athletic Association league with a 2–0 record, trailing behind the Balboa Buccaneers by only one match.

The Cardinals were able to work together well in the first set, although it is only the second league game of the season. During rallies, there were several times when the ball hit the ceiling, making it difficult to predict where the ball would be on its way down. Despite this challenge, the Cardinals were able to close the set with a 25–7 win.

The team continued to overpower the Bulldogs throughout the second set. The Cardinals eventually ended the second set 25–11, taking the win.

Sophomore middle blocker Pearl Vermilyea prepares to spike the ball. Photo by Esther Posillico.

Overall, the team showed strong technique and communication throughout both sets. The implementation of coordinated plays and combinations allowed the team to come out on top, according to sophomore team captains Kimmy Yee and Rebecca Gin. This win set the tone nicely for the beginning of the season, preparing the girls for their next game. The JV girls’ volleyball team will take on The Academy Wolves at 4 p.m. on Oct. 3, at The Academy.