Behind the cover: Teens should be more politically aware and active

Letter from the Editor

Dear The Lowell readers,

The outcome of the 2016 presidential election sparked protests nationwide. Lowell students, along with other students from around the city, participated in these protests. When asked why they marched on Nov. 9, 2016, a typical answer was that they felt they didn’t get a voice in this election.

But do students really not have a voice in politics or government?

In this issue’s cover story, we decided to share the experiences of students who were involved in the 2016 election and other political positions. Their stories and accomplishments provide an answer to the question above: Yes. From the soda tax campaign to the Donald Trump campaign, from Youth Commissioners to district supervisors interns, these students prove that young people can have an active role in shaping government and politics, even if they aren’t old enough to vote.

Sofia Woo — one of the story’s reporters — was also inspired by these active students. She told us that “finding out about people my age who could actually make a difference in their community was really amazing to learn about.” The story’s other reporter, Sarah Magen, took an interest in this story after the election, when she observed “how emotionally invested people were and how emotionally invested it made [her].”

We also made sure to include voices from students across the political spectrum. Our point: no matter where you fall on the spectrum, make sure you get involved.

As we head into the next four years, we must keep in mind that “decisions are made by those who show up,” a quote we stumbled upon while watching The West Wing. As the future leaders of the world, young people need to actually show up. It is essential that we understand the full story about current issues and remember how we arrive at certain conclusions in order to make informed decisions. This is the time to take initiative and share our voices.

Editors-in-Chiefs,

Ophir Cohen-Simayof, Cynthia Leung, Rachael Schmidt