JV boys’ baseball coasts into championships after 9–1 win against Bucs

Sophomore shortstop, second baseman and pitcher Jordan Bach slides to a base against the Balboa Buccaneers on May 3 at Balboa Park. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The JV boys’ baseball team dominated the Balboa Buccaneers 9–1 in the semifinals of the Academic Athletic Association league on May 3. They will face off against the Washington Eagles in the championships today.

In the first three innings, the Cardinals scored three runs. In the fourth inning, the Buccaneers cut the lead and had one run. However, that was the last run for the Buccaneers. During the rest of the game, the Cardinals scored seven more runs. “We executed all of our defensive plays, we got a lot of energy,” head coach James Burke said.

The team’s defense did very well, according to sophomore co-captain Jet Tan. “I feel like we locked it down defensively,” he said. “We could have done a little more hitting wise.”

Freshman infielder, outfielder and pitcher Matthew Bura throws the ball to his teammate to tag the Buccaneer. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The Cardinals swept through the regular season, with a 10–0 season record. “Our pitchers have been dominating; they’ve been throwing strikes, they’re confident right now,” Burke said.

All aspects of the Cardinals’ ball play have been good this season. “I don’t think that we’ve ever had a group like this. Everyone is hitting the ball, they put pressure on the defense.” Burke said.

Freshman infielder, outfielder and pitcher Matthew Bura pitches the ball. Photo by Leonard Caoili

The Cards feel very confident going into the championship game. They have an 18 game winning streak including out of league games and are hoping to make it 19 with the championship game. “They don’t care how many games we won in a row, they always being their best so I feel like that puts us in a good situation,” Burke said.

The team will fight tooth and nail against the Washington Eagles today at Big Rec Nealon Field 3:30 p.m.