Getting ready to make a splash at All-City

A varsity swimmer dives into the Sava Pool at the sprint meet on April 20. Photo by Shyla Duong

All divisions of Lowell’s swim team participated in the sprint meet on April 20 at Sava Pool. This event is the final official competition before All-City.

According to assistant coach CJ Bautista, the sprint meet differs from that of regular meets because it allows swimmers that haven’t swam certain events to practice those events before All-City. At this meet, Bautista thought that the Cardinals did exceptionally well. “They were focused, prepared, they contributed 100 percent to the meet,” he said. “Everyone who showed up made their time and made their event without missing one.”

JV swimmer Casey Lau doing breastrokes. Photo by Shyla Duong

Because the championships are just right around the corner, the Cardinals have been giving their all these past few weeks. “They’ve been practicing everyday and working hard and giving 110 percent every day through practice,” Bautista said.

Due to their hard work, the Cardinals are confident about All-City. “A lot of people come everyday to practice and they’re really fast. I think we’re going to do really well,” junior girls varsity swimmer Nicole Wong said.

Most of the swimmers are currently focused on fine tuning their form before All-City. “I would like to get my body position right and just get my head in the game,” sophomore girls varsity swimmer Mia Blaylock said.

Regardless of the team’s results at All-City, Bautista is pleased with his swimmers’ progress. “I’m more than proud of them this season no matter what the outcome is, they’re all winners and deserve a round of applause,” Bautista said.

The Cardinals will be competing at All-City at 12 p.m. on April 28 at City College.