Adding another win to their record: Boys tennis smash the Knights

Junior Justin Wong returns the ball against a Knights opponent on April 16. Photo by Lauren Caldwell

The varsity boys tennis team defeated the Stuart Hall Knights 7–0 on April 16 at Lowell. The Cardinals, with 7 wins and 0 losses, are currently ranked first in the Academic Athletic Association league.

In the singles division, freshman Evan Fox and sophomore Kyle Awad won 6–0, 6–0 and 6–1, 6–1, respectively. Junior Justin Wong and senior Jacob Goldstein also emerged victorious 6–2, 6–0 and 6–0, 6–0,respectively.

In the doubles division, junior Andrew Trinh and freshman Angus Wong won 6–0, 6–0, while senior Kyle Chan and Daniel Stepanian won 6–1, 6–0. Junior Eli Ganz and Nick Morgenstein maintained the winning streak with scores of 6–1, 6–1.

During this tournment, players used different types of strategies. In Ganz and Morgenstern’s match, they successfully confused their opponents by adopting the “I” Formation, which enabled their high flexibility in controlling the shot’s direction. Chan and Stepanian, on the other hand, adapted to their particular situation. “We take advantage of the fact that their serves were not as powerful and we approached them and finished the point strong at the net,” Chan said.

“Our biggest challenge is the consistency: wait for the opening and go for the winning shot,”

With the first round of All-City playoffs coming up on April 30, the team has been targeting areas where they are weak. Every day, team members are trying to become more consistent by practicing their serves and volleys, according to co-coach John Mohr. “Our biggest challenge is the consistency: wait for the opening and go for the winning shot,” he said.

The Cardinals will face off against the Washington Eagles on at 3:30 p.m. on April 25 at Washington. This will be their final tournament before going into playoffs.