Girls softball shuts out their opponents in two consective games

Senior outfielder, shortstop and second baseman Makaena Gee gets ready to bat at a game against the Lions on April 17 at Moscone 1. Photo by Kate Green.

The varsity softball team destroyed the Galileo Lions in three innings with a shutout 20–0 game on April 17 at Moscone 1.

Following a 23–0 win over Mission the previous week, the Cardinals entered the game with an emphasis on solid defense and smooth teamwork. In the first inning, they scored 9 points, building off of each other’s hits and stealing several bases. In the bottom of the inning, senior captain Kelly Lai took to the mound and proceeded to throw three straight strikeouts, giving Lowell a solid lead going into the second inning.

“With the cheering, we want to make sure we’re getting inside the other pitcher’s head, as well as pumping up our team.”

The team continued their hitting streak, adding 5 more runs onto the scoreboard during the second inning. As each player went up to bat, the other girls gathered by the fence behind her clapping and yelling words of encouragement. “With the cheering, we want to make sure we’re getting inside the other pitcher’s head, as well as pumping up our team,” Lai explained. This positive momentum carried into Lowell’s defense as Lai again fired out strikes and kept the Lions offense at bay.

Lowell continued this powerful offense until the score reached 20–0.

Going into the third inning, the team huddled around head coach Sascha Taylor-Ray, who encouraged the team to stay aggressive with their hitting. Taking these words of advice to heart, the inning began with junior catcher Ella Gibson hitting a solid single. As the next batter stepped up to the plate, Gibson stole second. Galileo’s defense suffered from a fumble and miscommunication, allowing Gibson to sprint around the bases and steal home. Lowell continued this powerful offense until the score reached 20–0. The spotlight was once again turned to Lai. With two strikeouts and the catch of a fly ball, the inning was over.

In high school softball, the game is finished if a team is leading by 15 runs in the third inning, so once the third strike was called, the umpire called time. This win over Galileo continues the Cardinals’ season-long, 8-game winning streak. They will be playing the Galileo Lions at 3:30 p.m. on May 1 at West Sunset 3.