Lowell badminton team continues strong season with a dominating win

Senior captain Alex Owyang smashes a birdie against a Phoenix opponent. Photo by Jennifer Cheung

The Lowell badminton team overpowered the Thurgood Marshall Phoenixes 7–0 on April 10 at Lowell, leaving them with a track record of 6–1. They are currently tied for second place with Burton in the Academic Athletic Association.

The Cardinal’s head coach, Christine Hosoda, started off the game by welcoming Marshall to Lowell and having the manager explain the rules. After some warm-ups, the Cardinals took the field with four games at a time, divided by gender and singles or doubles.

As their teammates cheered from the side, Lowell won every game. Marshall was unable to ever score above 14 points.

In the girls singles, junior Betty Yang crushed her opponent 21–2 in both matches. In girls doubles, juniors Elaine Huang and Joanna Feng won their matches as well, 21–4 and 21–6. However, sophomore Helen Guan and senior Fountine Zhao from Lowell won by forfeit due to a lack of players on the other team.

In the boys singles, senior captain Alex Owyang won his matches 21–4 and 21–5. He hopes to finish first at All-City on May 3 and defend his title as champion.

In the doubles, seniors Zilong Wang and Nathan Li won 21–5 and 21–6, while sophomores Alan Su and Jeffrey Truong scored 21–12 and 21–8.

Junior Betty Yang returns a shuttlecock. Photo by Jennifer Cheung

After the game, some players reflected on how they can improve. Although Zhao felt she made a lot of mistakes in some matches, she hopes to use that awareness to become a better badminton player. “I think it was a really good learning experience, because I know what I have to work on now,” she said. Despite all their continued success, the team works out just as much, paying particular attention to their footwork. According to Zhao, this helps them keep sight of the birdie during the game.

Lowell’s next game is against the Academy Wolves at 4 p.m. on April 12 at home.