Boys golf wins a close game against the Eagles

Senior Jeffrey Jiang tees off on April 5 against the Washington Eagles. Photo by Esther Posillico

Starting off the regular season strong, the varsity boys’ golf team defeated the Washington Eagles with a close score of 214–216 on April 5 at Lincoln Golf Course. The team is currently first in the Academic Athletic Association with a record of 3–0.

As per usual league games, Lowell and Washington each played nine holes. The game started with gloomy, windy weather and it began sprinkling halfway through the contest. Fortunately, the rain stopped shortly afterward, so the match was able to continue smoothly.

The top Lowell scorers were senior co-captain Joshua Lim, who scored a 36 and freshman Jonathan Ng, who scored a 42.

Freshman Ethan Fong swings his club. Photo by Esther Posillico

This match was a crucial one, as the Cardinals were up against their rival, the Eagles. “It was a big match because we were playing against our top competitor, so [the team] was a little more nervous, but other than that, I think we held our own, and we did a pretty good job,” Lim said.

The Cardinals prepared for the game against the Eagles by visiting Lincoln Golf Course the day before. By doing so, they were able to familiarize themselves with the course and to see what techniques were working for the team and what needed to be adjusted, according to head coach Juan Lopez.

In addition to defeating the Eagles, the Cardinals also achieved their goal of improving their swinging techniques. “Our goal is always to improve every week,” Lopez said. “Every player had a goal to improve their game by about two or three strokes and for the most part, everyone accomplished that [goal].”

Their next game will be against the Burton Pumas at 3:30 p.m. on April 17 at Lincoln Golf Course.

Senior Jeffrey Jiang putts. Photo by Esther Posillico