Filed under All, Boys Basketball

JV boys basketball falls short at championships

Freshman guard Cal Ladine shoots a basket during the championship game against the Mission Bears on Feb. 26. Photo by Anita Liu

The JV boys basketball team was unable to emerge victorious against the Mission Bears at the Academic Athletic Association Championships on Feb. 26 at Kezar Stadium. They lost 46–31.

Starting off the game in Lowell’s favor, sophomore guard Matthew Ku and forward Rishi Raghavan took the Cardinals to a four-point lead after Mission’s tip-off. Throughout the quarter, the Cardinals and the Bears kept on missing their shots, resulting in very few baskets. It ended with the Cardinals in the lead, 5–3.

Freshman guard Cal Ladine makes a layup. Photo by Anita Liu

In the second quarter, the Cards faced an intense game. Despite the Cardinals leading in the beginning, the gap slowly narrowed. They were faced with the Bears’ sudden gain in momentum. The team watched as their lead eventually diminished and was overtaken by the Bears. Despite Raghavan’s two-pointer and sophomore guard Griffon Shen’s lay up, the Cardinals were unable to regain the lead. Making a string of two-pointers, the Bears’ momentum continued. The Cards finished the quarter five-points behind, 16–11.

In the third quarter, Sophomore guard Cal Ladine’s six points and Raghavan’s three-pointer were not enough, leaving them behind at 31–20.

The Cardinals watched the Bears score more points, until Ku scored two points from his free throws. The team slowly closed the gap with more free throws made by Raghavan and Ku. With just minutes left in the game, the Cardinals were pressured. They made their final shots with Ku’s double two-pointers within the last thirty seconds of the game. Despite their efforts, the Cardinals lost the opportunity to become champs, and the game ended with a 46–31 loss.

Sophomore guard Nathan Ly shoots a free throw. Photo by Anita Liu
About the Writer