Despite hustle, varsity football loses to the Bears 40–12

Boys’ varsity football defenders tackle a Mission Bear on Nov. 2. Photo by Susan Wong

The Lowell Cardinals went head to head with the Mission Bears at Kezar Stadium on Nov. 2. The Cards lost 40–12. They are currently tied for fifth place with the Burton Pumas with a season record of 1–3.

Coming into the game, the Cardinals had high hopes to win, however, they fell short. By the end of the first quarter, the Bears had 24 points on the board, while Lowell had none.

In the second quarter, junior running back Jimmy Li scored a rushing touchdown, putting 6 on the board for Lowell. However, the Cards failed to complete the two-point conversion.

Sophomore Darius Mayfield-Heckard runs away from the Bear defenders with the ball. Photo by Susan Wong

Then, in the last 30 seconds of the first half, the Bears scored another touchdown, along with a two-point conversion, bringing the score to 32–6 at the half.

In the middle of the third quarter, Li scored another touchdown, but the Cardinals were still trailing 32–12.

With five minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Bears scored again, advancing their lead to 38–12. After scoring a two-point conversion, they won the game 40–12.

Following the game, the team reflected on their performance. “We didn’t have discipline,” sophomore wide receiver and running back Brennan Nguy said. “We lost the first drive and that kinda just made us lose, I mean it got in our head.”

When asked about scoring the two touchdowns, Li said “[They] felt good, I thought we were gonna come back, but we still had some mistakes that we have to correct so that held us back.”

Junior Treyvor Turmon kicks the ball during kickoff. Photo by Susan Wong

Despite their current season record, Lowell can still make it to the playoffs, as long as they beat the Washington Eagles and the Burton Pumas, whose season records are currently 2–3 and 1–3, respectively.

The Cards will be going against the Washington Eagles in the annual Battle of the Birds at Lowell this Friday at 2 p.m. “A win for sure, we’re expecting a blowout,” Li said.